Reading Notes: Jataka Tales Part B

Jataka Tales by: Ellen C. Bobbitt



The wise and the foolish merchant- I wished I could tell who were demons so easily. Wouldn't that be great, to be able to spot those who wish you harm so easily? This was a nice tale. Although I wish we knew what had happened to the foolish merchant. I assume he was killed or eaten by the demons? Did he ever realize his mistake. Second chances do not come often in these tales.

The elephant Girly-Face- I am more intrigued with this title than  I am by the story. The two conflict with one another also. The elephant is called Girly-Face because he is so nice and good. So part of the lesson in this story is that only females are nice and good and if a boy is nice and good then he will receive a feminine name? Interesting.

The Banyan Deer- Cute story. I was surprised that this story did not follow the example of many other stories. It did not have a cunning character who got them out of the situation.

The Princes and the water-sprite- This story is the opposite of the last. It seemed to take a little piece from a few different stories combining them to make 1 story.

The King's white elephant- Short story. just that. a short story.

The Ox who envied the pig- well-fed pig died. Eat more salad??

Grannies Blackie- Why did they name an elephant Blackie?

Why the owl is not king of the birds- I wonder if these stories were shortened from other stories?


Comments

Popular Posts