Week 9 Story: The Duchess

You now read this at my Portfolio!



Draupadi was going to become a Duchess. She had always known and anticipated this. Whether that anticipation was welcomed or not did not matter. She knew daughters of Dukes did not marry for love, they married for far more important matters than that. At least this is the way she was brought up. They married to form unions, for money, or they married for land. She knew she was a romantic, perhaps due to her young age of 18. Nevertheless, she wanted friendship, love, and someone to protect her. She wanted someone to laugh at her jokes.  She did not want to marry for respectability or responsibility. This was a great concern of hers. However, she had far more important issues to worry about, such as her father.  She had always lived at her father’s estate, Devonshire, and her father is the Duke of Devonshire. For how much longer she had no idea. Her father was very ill and not showing any signs of recovering from the chills that had set in two years prior. Draupadi was his only child and many thought it unfortunate that she was a girl. This meant her father had no one to inherit his title. At times like these she wished her mother was still alive to guide her. Unfortunately, all she had was her father’s sister who has essentially been running the estate as acting Duchess. Her Aunt Kinsa was not a kind nor warm women. She and Draupadi have had many quarrels over the years. Aunt Kinsa had strong ideas about what was “proper” conduct for a young girl. How her Aunt had agreed to her father’s idea of this ball, she had no idea.  Her father is hoping to find her a husband and plans to do so at the ball. It was to take place this evening. Weeks ago her father had sent out invitations to all the nobility far and wide, inviting their eldest sons. Dev had no heir, and Draupadi could not become a Duke. He needed a Duke before he became too frail to have any say in the matter. So, this was her situation. She was about to lose her only ally and remaining parent. Her closest friend. Now, she also had to confront that after tonight she would have a fiancĂ©, when she did not want one. The fates could be very cruel indeed.

THE BALL

There was a loud commotion in the entry way of the grand estate of Devonshire. Draupadi had been in the middle of a dance with the fourth man on her dance card when her attention was diverted to it. She was relieved to have an excuse to go check on the matter, as this man had two left feet and her toes were throbbing. She excused herself politely and then nearly ran out of the room to escape the stares she had felt on her back all evening. She felt like a prize to be won, not a heart to be captured, as she wished. She knew most of the men who came to the ball wanted only her father’s title, not necessarily her. It had proved to be a rather disappointing evening, although she wasn’t sure why she expected more. She was reasonable and knew she was not going to have a knight with shining armor arrive and save her and then woo her. She arrived to the entry hall just as her aunt was demanding that the late arrivals leave immediately. 
“Who are these late comers and why are you demanding they leave, Aunt?"
 Her Aunt turned to her, exasperated, and in no uncertain terms told her to return to the ball. Draupadi, thinking of her poor toes, was having none of it. “No, not yet, but thank you for the suggestion, Aunt.” She turned to her guest, “Who do we have here?" The tallest and possibly the oldest responded “We are the Pandava Brothers, my name is Yudhishthira and we have come to take you as our bride." For a moment Draupadi was stunned and silent. “Perhaps I am wrong here, but are you using plural form? Are you expecting me to have more than one husband? That is absurd”, she tittered. A different brother approached now. He gently took her hand is his, kissing the top of her glove while bowing deep. “My Lady, my name is Arjuna and these are my brothers Nakula, Sahadeva, and Bhima. We know it may seem peculiar but it is true. This has been decided by the Gods and Fate long ago. All of us are to be your husband, friend, protector, lover and your Duke. Each of us will be one of these things for you and that will remain our role henceforth. Bhima will be your protector. Nakula will be your husband. Sahadeva will be your friend. Lastly, Yudhishthira will be your Duke. Bemused, she looked to the handsome young man holding her hand and asked “And what shall you be, My Lord?” Sheepishly and turning slightly pink he responded “I shall be your lover”. At this, her aunt exploded, angry and rambling incoherently, she ran to get Dev. Draupadi felt she was in a daze or a nice warm dream. She looked at the five tall, handsome, and strong young men before her and noticed they all gazed at her lovingly and genuinely. They seemed calm and at peace with the disruption they have caused at this husband seeking ball of her father’s. Draupadi suddenly knew that although this was not normal precedence, it was her future. She smiled a wide silly grin that she was sure was not becoming of a Lady but she could not repress it.  With the absolute clarity of one drunk on adventure, love, and possibilities she said “Well, who shall I marry first”?

THE END


Author's Note: I tend to go through fazes of what I like to read. When I am feeling stressed or overwhelmed I enjoy simple books. When I choose a book feeling this way I love reading about the English Aristocracy from earlier Centuries. I thought it would be fun to recreate Draupadi's story as a Duchess. A course, the Aristocracy would never allow a woman to have 5 husbands, so it was fun to write this alternative. I also wanted each husband to have a role, versus a time frame with her. I wanted Draupadi to get everything she wanted out of a husband, even if it took 5 husbands. I did not want my story to be the 5 husbands getting what they wanted. I had already reached my word count, but I hope it comes through that they are there to serve her. To be her everything. To fill the void from having no family.

Comments

  1. Hi Meranda,

    I enjoyed reading your story. There I think that it was a cute way to retell Draupadi's Swayamvara. However, near the end, it seems that Draupadi is taking all five as her husband, but then the five men are separated into their roles and only one will be her husband, but then at the end she suggests she is marrying all five again? It was just a bit confusing. Apart from that, I loved your story and can't wait to read more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi~
    When I first saw the length of the story I was like oh no. But it was really good! I enjoyed the entire story and the writing was clear. I thought a few sentences could use some restructuring for clarity but nothing major. I was able to comprehend your interpretation more than the original. It's always helpful to read these stories because they help me better understand the base material.
    I also like to read whimsical, light hearted stories whenever I'm stressed so I loved this. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for your other works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meranda,
    I loved your take on this story of Draupadi. It was so easy and fun to read. You are really such a good writer- I read through your whole story fully engaged and without getting distracted at all (which tends to happen a lot, unfortunately). With so many characters in a story, it sometimes is difficult to keep track of everyone, but I didn't have any trouble. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Merenda, the first thing I want to mention is that I really enjoy the fact that you chose this sea foam-esque green as the background for your website. It's not a very common color and I dig it. Now onto the story. I really like the way you retold this. Your creative tendencies really showed within this story, which was very nice. The story was structured well and it was easy to follow. Keep up the good work. I look forward to reading more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Merenda,
    Putting the story of Draupadi marrying all of the Pandavas in a medieval context was a cool touch. If you wanted, you could immerse it further and switch the names up to match the scenery. I don't think the message or background of the story would be that much harder to understand. It feels almost like a Disney princess movie where Draupadi gets to love her husband, well I guess her five husbands. Not very Disney but that's fine. I think I'll go and check this out in your portfolio later.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts