Reading Notes: Jataka Tales

Jataka Tales by: Ellen C. Babbitt

I am only going to comment on the stories that are new to me out of this list.

The merchant of Seri- I really liked this story! It presents a valuable  and moral lesson. I am glad the greedy merchant did not get the gold bowl.

The turtle who could not stop talking- I have read this story before. I am mentioning it in my notes because I am somewhat confused on the meaning of the story. Talking too much is not good? This is not good for me because I talk A LOT haha.

The ox who won the forfeit- This was a nice short tale. Treat others kindly and they will do well by you.

The sandy road- I thought at first this story would about the warning "don't count your chickens until your eggs hatch" and it may be. But the characters did not give up hope. They saw their problem and rose to the occasion of solving it. I like that they left a flag for other travelers to see. Had they not made a mistake, the water located there may never had been found. Perhaps the moral of the story is that it is OK to make mistakes, as long as you learn and grown from it.

The quarrel of the quails- I like the sound of this story. It flows well when you say the words. It is catchy, just what a Childs tale needs. I like the moral of this story as well. Work together and you may overcome some of life's strife.

The measure of rice- Interesting story! Don't sell others short!

Comments

Popular Posts