Week 2 Reading Overview

I have chosen the Ramayana  by R. K. Narayan. I have chosen this version because I rented the book from OU already, and I do prefer to read a physical book, versus electronically.
I have started reading the introduction and it is very informative for those, like me, who are being introduced to what Indian Epics are, and their origination. His introduction offers a basic version to what the epic Ramayana is, and how influential it is to the people of India.

Bizzel Comic Books

Vasantasena, A Dancer  It says this story was written a thousand years before Shakespeare, and I find that fascinating. What were they thinking of a thousand years ago? Often, the mores, norms, and societal rules of the current time in which the author writes, always seem to be present in a story. I am curious to see what I can find out about that time, through a fictional story.

Garuda: Vishnu's Divine Mount I notice that many of these stories feature Gods, praying, and the character's belief systems.  I wonder if this is a feature of those historical times, or if this is still a running theme for current stories. 

A painting by Raja Ravi Varma Wikipedia




India Video Playlist

Stages of Life I am always interested in other cultures and how thy operate, and this video seems to give an idea of how Indians possibly identify stages in one's life.

The Rama Epic - I watched this video because I know we will be reading this story. It was interesting to see how the story plays an active part of Indians culture and rituals.


Comments

Popular Posts