Time Strategies

I am almost always late, wherever I go. When this happens, it does not matter if I started getting ready 1 hour, or 3 hours prior. I will find a way to rush out the door, out of time.
YET.
When I am working as a flight attendant, time is very important. One minute is very important. In fact, I have come to find the value in minutes, even less than 5 minutes. If we have only 1 minute before boarding I know that I can close my eyes, and enjoy the quiet for that 1 minute. I know I can scarf down a McDonalds burger from the terminal in 3 minutes. I will feel blessed to have a whole 30minutes to myself before being asked for a Bloody Mary at 6 in the morning. Time is also important because late departures, even by a minute, can disrupt operations, and just as important, bonuses! If I do not leave my hotel room on time to meet my crew in the lobby, to get on the airport shuttle, then I will make everyone fall behind, possibly even other crews from other airlines who had to wait on me to get down there. Or, maybe they just leave me, and I then have to pay for my own transportation to the airport, and hope I don't cause a delay of departure, because you can bet I will get a call from my supervisor and in trouble.  Mismanagement of time has very real consequences.
WHEW, time is crazy.
But, what is crazier, is how I live a double life in how I handle  "my time".
To me it could be this: Left to my own devices, with nothing keeping me within a certain structure, I tend to slack, and dilly around. I get lost in my thoughts a lot. I will think about something someone said, and how I should have responded, Vs how I actually responded. Ill create scenarios of different situations, and how I could act. Ill think about dogs and how cute they are. It's a wasteland of nonsensical commentary.  When I am at work,  I am more responsible with my time.
 So, me, served up 2 different ways.




I chose The important Habit of just starting by Jory Mackay
I really connected with this article when it said  "time inconsistency—the human brain’s tendency to value immediate rewards more highly than future rewards." 
I believe I have an inclination towards this behavior. When I am on time at work, I am immediately rewarded with knowing I have done my job well, and those bonuses :)
However, I do not receive a bonus for arriving to class on time. I will consider this frame of thought when I find myself calling behind on time.

3 Steps to Recapture Time
I really like how this article gives you direct instructions on how one may possibly challenge time mismanagement.  Taking the time to slow down, focus, and put into actual words what needs to be accomplished that day is a good idea. Most of the time I have a vague "feeling" of what needs to be done, and what I am behind on. But I don't actually put that "feeling" of to-do into an actual to-do list, clearly stated. I will definitely try to utilize what I have read in this article, and see how it helps me grow.


Comments

  1. I appreciate how honest you are about yourself in this article. It is great to see that not everyone is 100% dialed in. I can definitely relate to lacking time management skills at times. For example, this week I had military duty and have fallen extremely behind on assignments because I decided to nap instead of do homework after my 14 hour day. Life is rough!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts