Feedback Thoughts

Silence the Critical Voices in Your Head by: Sabina Nawaz

I have chosen this article, because I know I really struggle with self-criticism. This article mentions how one may react to positive feedback, and I am constantly reacting to positive feedback negatively in my own head. When I receive a compliment, sometimes I think that the person is just being nice. Or I think about the compliment and think of multiple ways I can do better, instead of focusing on the compliment, and thinking of how I can repeat it. This article gave 4 different ways to move past negativity and into productivity, and they are Look for the positive, hear the positive, dig in to understand the positive, and believe the positive and act as if it were true. I like that the Nawaz gave me something else to focus on while receiving positive feedback. I hope the steps will help assist me in fending off my negative thoughts to positive feedback.


Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt by: John Spencer

When reading these types of articles, I really connect with the personal anecdotes that the author has witnessed or experienced. That storytelling in the article really allows for me to connect with the topic. I like how Spencer mentions the various ways he has experienced self-doubt (Who knew Professors experience self-doubt?! :). Yet, he is also very reasonable when presenting his set of ideas to combat self doubt, by prefacing it with "I don’t have this figured out entirely...". I appreciate that sentence. He mentions to not compare yourself to others. This is something I do often. I agree, however, that whether I find myself lacking, or better than, I never end up feeling good about myself after comparing me to other people.
I also like how he mentions a Growth Mindset, and how from a young age we begin the process of not wanting to make mistakes, and how that may hold us back. This was a nice photo to get a visual of how mistakes can be necessary in learning, just as Laura mentions. 




Comments

Popular Posts